Cleaning And Preventative Dentistry in Mesa
Why Preventative Dentistry Is Important
Preventative dentistry is an essential part of achieving and maintaining optimum oral hygiene. Good oral health is also a team effort between you, your dentist, and dental hygienist. Preventing dental disease is possible as long as you take care of your teeth at home and maintain regularly scheduled visits to your dentist in Tempe.
A Cleaning And Prevention program is a cooperative effort by the patient, dentist, and dental staff to preserve the natural dentition and supporting structures by preventing the onset, progress, and recurrence of dental diseases and conditions.
Preventing dental disease starts at home with good oral hygiene and a balanced diet. It is continued in the dental office by the efforts of your dentist and dental hygienist to promote, restore, and maintain your oral health.
To get ahead of potential dental problems one of the best things you can do is to schedule dental cleanings for yourself and your family on a regular basis. Most dentists recommend having a professional cleaning by a professional dental hygienist at least once every six months. These cleanings are more thorough than what you can do at home, and specifically address things like plaque, tarter, and stains.
With regular cleanings, you can reduce the risk of numerous oral health complications such as:
What To Expect With A Dental Cleaning
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will perform the following:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Schedule An Appointment
Call our office today for an appointment. If you haven’t been in for a cleaning in some time, don’t worry, we don’t judge. We want you to get the care that you need. Prevention helps avoid serious and costly dental problems and is the key to having a healthy, confident, beautiful smile.